Search This Blog

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Kitchen Renovation Update!

A lot has happened since my first kitchen renovation post. To see where we left off last time, CLICK HERE.
We had new recessed lighting installed in the kitchen, entry, kids' playroom, and living room. We had this new chandelier installed in the living room:

Currey and Company Billycart Chandelier-build.com
We've had some major landscaping clean-up going on and we had a new screen door installed leading to the deck.

Back to the kitchen:

After removing the backsplash, we pulled out the old stove:


Oh, and I decided to paint the entryway since it leads to the kitchen.

Here is the new stove, which we LOVE! (oh, and you will also notice our new Le Creuset wok!):



And my new tea kettle!


Granite Designs came to measure for our counter tops. In the meantime, I had TONS of cleaning, lining, and organizing to do. My goal was to go through every single cabinet in the kitchen and pantry (empty, purge, line, and restock according to what we actually use) before the counter installation. I did it! What a job!

Before:





After:




We had to have the drywall from the old backsplash repaired, so that was completed.

Before we knew it, it was time to take off the old counters. Here are a few "befores":


On this next picture, take note of the, as I not-so-lovingly call it, "the hump in the middle". This "hump" has been the bane of my existence for the last ten years.




What a blast that was-getting all of those oddly placed screws out. But, it was definitely worth it to take those counters off!





The morning of the counter installation, I was a bundle of nerves-just full of excitement! When the Granite Designs truck pulled up, I got emotional-it was really happening!



Here is a picture of our granite in the truck (ours is on the left!):


And here is the first piece they installed:



And the color up close-I LOVE it SO MUCH!



The plumber came and disconnected the plumbing under the sink. Buh-Bye old sink:


And buh-buy old counters!




Here is the new garbage disposal. I've never had one before, and wasn't really thrilled when hubby decided we "need" one. But, I have to admit it will come in really handy with juicing! No more pulp and peels hanging out in the trash can. I still need to line the bottom of the sink, but ran out of liner.


New sink (prior to reconnection). I love, love, love the undermount:



When everything was installed, I literally cried after the installers left! We have been waiting to redo our counters for ten years and it was definitely worth the wait! I am SO happy with the counters! I keep going in the kitchen and just smile. I love it. The installers measured the backsplash and will be installing those next. I can't even imagine loving it more than I already do, but that is really going to add to it!



Anand called on facetime that night so I could "show him". I can't wait for him to see them "in person". I just know he will love them as much as I do! Last night, Sage came over and he told me he couldn't wait to bake something. So, he made brownies. It was so nice to be able to sit at the island together while he baked. We always tend to gather in the kitchen anyway, but now it's so much more "gathering friendly". I was initially against the idea of having four barstools, as I thought it might be a bit crowded, but now I'm really loving it because we can all hang around the island together.



Here is a before:




After:



We're waiting for the granite backsplash to be installed, which should be sometime in the next week or so. Then, after I'm done work (SIX MORE WORKING DAYS!), we'll have the floors refinished. We've also had some major landscaping work going on for a while now-post to come. I'm ready to have a break from projects for a while! Stay tuned for more updates...










No comments:

Post a Comment