Search This Blog

Sunday, June 23, 2013

My Last Day of Work!

June 6, 2013: My last day at work had arrived! I was full of emotions the week leading up to it. After all, I had been in my position as Director of Health Information for twelve years. In that twelve years, I met my husband, struggled with infertility, endured two cycles of IVF, gave birth to our twin daughters, watched Sage grow up, and had my own health struggles. I was leaving a chapter behind and beginning a new one. I cried when I woke up, told my husband I was feeling emotional, got up and got ready for the big day.

I arrived at work and was welcomed to a decorated office!









We started the day with our usual "staff meeting"- me and my three girls talking about our evenings, sharing any plans we have, any gripes & complaints, and catching up on our TV shows. We did this daily with me in my office chair, Freda in the chair in my office, Gloria standing in the doorway, and Melissa on my exercise ball. I decided we should have a "passing of the blue ball" ceremony and handed the ball to Melissa. I asked the girls to continue our meetings in my honor :)





Then, Freda gave us all popcorn necklaces! Every time I would eat popcorn in Freda's cubicle, I would make a mess of it. When Housekeeping would come in, I would always blame Freda.








Freda & I walked over to visit Nancy, our wellness coach, one last time together. We chatted for a bit, and then headed back to the office. I had post-it's that I wrote memories on and hid all over the office for the girls to find when I was gone. We had visitors in and out throughout the day. People signed my poster...here is my friend, Monika, writing me a novel:





That afternoon, the girls had planned a party. The usual parties at work have always felt so stuffy and depressing-like a funeral. I told the girls that my party should be FUN! They gave me a great party! We had music, lots of food, lots of people coming in to say goodbye, and just a lot of fun. As the Medical Director said on his way out "As usual, you girls know how to throw a party"! I laughed and told them "my work here is done!". :) Monika even set up a green monster smoothie bar for me! How thoughtful is that?!




The cake said "Deserter", which was funny but what was even funnier is that I couldn't figure out why they wrote "Desiree" on it! Maybe I watch The Bachelorette too much? LOL!

Here are a bunch of pictures that Gloria, our little photographer, took!


























































































Bye, Bye Work Wife!







When I got home, the girls were holding up this sign:







And at that moment, I was 100% sure that we were doing the right thing.



-Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment