Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tuesday!

Happy Tuesday! Nothing much to report today. I have decided to try protein powder. This is what I've found from researching a bit...

"Doctors and nutrionists have singled out whey protein as a super-staringredient for weight loss, infant nutrition, immune support, andespecially in the area of sports nutrition.Whey protein is a particularly good source of protein for people withspecial dietary needs like:People on a low-carbohydrate diet 'cause whey protein contains verylittle cholesterol on it's ownPregnant WomenVegetarians that include dairy in their diet.The lactose-intolerant due to the small amount of lactose contained inwhey protein isolate (the lactose-intolerant should avoid whey proteinconentrate though).The wheat-intolerant because whey protein contains no gluten.People with digestion problems because whey protein is so easilydigestible that it rarely causes adverse stomach or intestinalreactions.Adding whey protein to your healthy lifestyle is a great way tojump-start the weight loss phase of your program. Whey protein is akey ingredient in numerous weight loss and meal replacement productsand whey protein isolate (with no fat or carbohydrates) is often thepreferred choice. Studies have found that individuals who combinediets with leucine rich protein foods, like whey protein, and exercisehave more lean muscle tissue and they lose more body fat. As they losefat their metabolic rate increases and they naturally burn morecalories each day. Another way that whey protein helps manage weightis by making you feel "full" after drinking your whey protein shake."

It can't hurt to try, right? I found a couple of recipes from a message board I frequent...

Smoothies

1 C Lowfat Milk (or soymilk)
1/2 C Vanilla Yogurt
1 C Fruit of your choice
2 tsp. Ground Flaxseed
2 tsp. Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
Ice

This one sounds like my favorite, though...

1 C Lowfat Chocolate Milk (or just add some light Hershey's syrup in milk)
1/2 C Vanilla Yogurt
2 T All Natural Peanut Butter
2 tsp. Ground Flaxseed
2 tsp. Chocolate Whey Protein Powder
Ice

Blend & Enjoy! The longer you mix them, the thicker they become.

I'm going to pick up some protein powder and give it a try...I'll keep you posted!

On another note, I made a follow-up appointment with my Cardiologist. After the delivery of our twin daughters, I developed cardiomyopathy. Basically, my heart is enlarged and my ejection fraction is decreased. They thought it would resolve after a couple of months, but as of last August it had remained the same. The cardiologist that I saw wanted me to come back this August for another echocardiogram and office visit. They don't think it will "resolve" at this point, but want me to be seen annually (or more if symptoms) to make sure it doesn't get worse. I "forgot" until recently when I heard about Tim Russert's death. He had an enlarged heart and had just passed a stress test. That concerned me a bit, so I decided to get on the ball! I called today and have an appt. on September 3.

I guess that is about it for today! Till tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment