Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Tuesday!

I woke up this morning and thought for sure it was Wednesday. Then I realized it was actually Tuesday...blah. But, it is a short week since Friday is the 4th of July! Last night for dinner we had Sesame-Peanut Noodles and ahi tuna. This was the BEST meal, so thought I would post the recipe.

Sesame-Peanut Noodles
(from "The Food You Want to Eat" by Ted Allen)

Ingredients:
Kosher Salt
1/4 C Sesame Seeds
1/4 C Peanut Butter (I used natural)
1/4 C Toasted Sesame Oil
1/3 C Roasted Peanuts, Cashews, whatever nuts you have (I used toasted cashews)
1/3 C Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
1 T Red Wine Vinegar
1 T Mirin
2 Garlic Cloves
1/4 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1 English Cucumber
1 pkg. Buckwheat Soba Noodles
1/4 C Chopped Fresh Cilantro
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
3 Scallions, sliced on an angle 1/4 inch thick

Directions:
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.

2. Meanwhile, toast the sesame seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until they turn golden brown, about 5 minutes.

3. In a food processor (I used a blender), combine the peanut butter, sesame oil, peanuts (I used cashews), soy sauce, vinegar, mirin, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Process to a puree. Stir in half the toasted sesame seeds.

4. Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon; discard the seeds. Slice the cucumber halves crosswise about 1/4 inch thick; set aside.

5. When the water comes to a boil, add the noodles and cook until tender, 4-5 minutes. Drain very well, shaking the colander until it stops dripping, and dump into a bowl. Add the peanut mixture, cilantro, and black pepper, and toss to coat. Turn out onto a large platter. Arrange the cucumber slices around the edge of the platter, sprinkle the scallions on top, and arrange the remaining sesame seeds on last. Serve warm or at room temperature.


Ahi Tuna

For the ahi tuna, we simply put some soy sauce on it, coated it with toasted sesame seeds and grilled on each side for approximately 3 minutes. DELICIOUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment