Last night, I made "Big-Ass Veggie Burritos"-a recipe from Skinny Bitch in the Kitch. These were seriously the best burritos ever.
Big-Ass Veggie Burrito
(from Skinny Bitch in the Kitch)
Ingredients:
1 C Brown Rice
2 C Water
1/2 tsp. plus a pinch of fine sea salt (I used Kosher)
1 (15 oz) Can Black Beans
1 T refined coconut oil (I used Safflower)
1 Yellow Squash, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 Green Bell Pepper, cut into 1/2 inch dice
1 Mild Green Chile, cut into 1/2 inch dice
1/2 Red Onion, cut into 1/2 inch dice
1 Zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch slices
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 tsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. Ground Coriander
1 tsp. Ground Cumin
2 Tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (I used Tomatillos)
2 T Lime Juice
4 (12-14 inch) Whole Wheat Tortillas, heated (I used Ezekiel from the health food store)
1 lb. Vegan Cheddar (I used about a cup of regular cheddar), shredded
1/2 C Coarsely Chopped Fresh Cilantro
2 Scallions, thinly sliced
Directions:
In a 1 to 2 quart saucepan over high heat, combine the rice, water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the rice stand, covered at least 10 minutes. (I used my rice cooker)
Meanwhile, place the beans and their liquid in a 1 quart saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, and cook until the beans are heated through, about 3 minutes. Cover and set aside. (I skipped this process and simply drained & rinsed the black beans. Canned beans tend to have a lot of sodium, so by rinsing you can get rid of a lot of it).
Heat the oil in a 10-12 inch skillet over medium high. Add the squash and cook, stirring occasionally for 1 minute. Add the bell pepper and chile and cook, stirring occasionally for 1 minute. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add the zucchini , garlic, chili powder, coriander, cumin, and the remaining salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes, or until all the vegetables are crisp tender. Stir in the tomatoes. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 4 minutes, until the vegetables are very soft. Stir in the lime juice.
To serve, lay a tortilla on a work surface and top with 1/4 of the rice, arranging it in a column down the middle of the tortilla, 2 inches from either edge. Top with 1/4 of the beans, 1/4 of the veggies, 1/4 of the cheese, 1/4 of the cilantro, and 1/4 of the scallions. Fold one side of the tortilla up and over the fillings, fold in the edges, and continue rolling the tortilla to the other side, making a tight bundle. Transfer the burrito to a plate, seam down. Repeat with remaining tortillas-makes 4.
Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment